The summer of 2018 begins to wind down in the inexorable manner that is seasonal change. That said, there is one trend/style that has always, and we think will always, transcend the seasons. Dutch Country Tiles, with their pastoral but poignant elegance, are always there; ready to be drawn into your design plans. Country Floors has always been associated with these ceramic gems so let’s chat about them for a bit.
Dutch Country Tiles are traditionally associated with the city of Delft. This quintessentially Dutch city is also the home of Johannes Vermeer of “Girl with a Pearl Earring” fame. Legend has it, that Italian ceramic tile artisans migrated here bringing with them a variety of glazing techniques that begat Delft ceramic tile.
Here are five typical things to look for in this classic genre:
- This material is usually 4”x4” in size or there about. Think of this as a greater visual than mosaics but certainly lesser than the large unit tiles we see today.
- The color blue is prevalent with all that it implies.
- There will be plenty of lovely scenes in decos like what you see at the very top of this post.
- Expect the experience to include a distinct hand-crafted look complete with crazing as shown above. Crazing being microfine cracks in the glaze.
- Lots of florals to play around with as shown below.
We have a deep understanding of this classic design element. Let’s have a conversation and thanks for reading. You may also like this post : Wellness and Ceramic Tile .